Wednesday, January 8, 2014

U.S. Virgin Islands: Spectacular

From Charlotte Amalie, it was over the mountain for a great view of Magan’s Bay (pronounced as Megan's Bay), with its long bayhead beach that is so visible from Drake's Seat, the most popular overlook on the island.  Supposedly, Sir Francis chose this peak as a place to keep watch over his private armada.  For whatever reason, the the beach at Magan's Bay does not get good reviews, and it was not my choice of beaches for the day.  Coki Beach was, and it does get good reviews.  From the main road, you can jump off a safari and walk to Coki Beach.  It's about half a mile.  I had worn my trunks and was ready to swim, but Coki Beach was far too crowded (with rich white tourists, sorry) for me.  Still, I walked the length of the strand, found room only to stand, toed into the sand, and my getaway planned.  A surprise, however, slowed me down. I found a small graveyard next to the beach. It occupied me for a good half hour. Then, it was on to my next mission.  I had to get back to Red Hook.

You will recall that Red Hook was where I had my eyes examined and where my new glasses would be delivered. Shipments came in after 3 and I had high hopes that Marlene, Dr. Friedenberg's assistant, would not have to mail them to me. That would be like not really getting them in the Virgin Islands; they would have lost a little of their tropical luster.  I checked at 3, not there.  I visited the marina. I checked at 3:30, not there. I found a homeless man sleeping in a mangrove tree (right). I checked at 4, not there.  I climbed the hill behind the plaza and took some pictures.  I checked at 4:30, not there.  I watched the last of the high school students, in their pink and maroon uniforms (really sharp looking, I thought) make their way home on the safaris.  I checked at 5, they had come in.  I lingered in the waiting room while the spectacles were fully assembled, watched a father and daughter choose new frames for a new prescription, marveled at how a home town doctor's office works, and finally was fitted.  The world came into focus!  A successful trip back to Charlotte Amalie, for $2 on a safari, meant that my mission had been accomplished.  The only thing ahead of me was the flight home. But first, I would enjoy one more great home-cooked breakfast (and great coffee) at the Galleon House the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment